Monday, January 21, 2008

I am riding--rushing--down the hill on a bobsled full of people.
I'm the one in front, but I don't know how to steer.
Snowy rocks and pine trees flash past as we hurtle down the mountain.
I'm terrified that we will crash and everyone will be badly hurt.

Suddenly, we hit a hidden rock.
There is a blur of sky and snow as we fly through the air.

We land in a heap.
One person rights herself scowls and limps away.
The others all stand up, brush off the snow, and get back on the sled.
I tell my friend that she should drive this time.
She says No.
I'm the designated driver.

This time we crash into a snowbank.
There is a geyser of white and a soft landing.
Everybody gets up, brushes themselves off, and climbs back on the sled.
Somebody shouts, "That was really fun! Let's do it again!"

I stop worrying about how to steer the sled and concentrate on enjoying the ride.
We all have a fabulous time.

No comments: